CoMA Singers is a group of experienced singers based in London.
We are a strong group of singers who rehearse and perform regularly, predominantly a cappella choral works, but sometimes with instruments and including some solo/small ensemble repertoire. We commission new works as well as exploring established CoMA repertoire. We also form a core for the wider CoMA Voices programme.
Singers are expected to be confident singers with some sight reading experience, prepared to tackle unusual vocal techniques and unconventional pieces. Singers are expected to work and prepare themselves between rehearsals. We are currently looking for one or two new members.
- 2014: In March, with CoMA London, “Women’s Work”, celebrating International Women’s Day with works by female composers. In July, we sang works by Paul Burnell and Free Laminator by John White. In October, for the CoMA 21st Anniversary Gala Concerts we performed Joanna Lee, John King, Soosan Lolavar and Janet Oates and joined with CoMA Voices for works by John Tavener, James Weeks and Philip Cashian.
- 2015: With Illumination Chamber Choir – singing our own repertoire and joining with Illumination for Britten’s Gloriana Dances.
- 2016: We sang at the first Festival of Contemporary Music for All at King’s Place, with the Contakt Ensemble at Hoxton Hall and at the Exaudi Exposure 2016 event.
- 2017: We performed at the CoMA Singing Adventures weekend. In June we gave a concert in Dorking. In November we recorded videos of CoMA partsongs.
- 2018: In March we sang partsongs at the launch of the publication at the Festival of Contemporary Music for All in March 2018. In September we sang at the CoMA 25th anniversary celebrations. In December we sang at our first Xmas event with the UCL Michael Singers.
- 2019: In March we sang at the Trinity Laban Showcase at Blackheath Halls and at the Exaudi Exposure 2019 event.
You do not have to do every project if you’re not available. We tend to have four rehearsals (Tuesday evenings, Shoreditch, East London) before each event.
We are currently working towards a concert with CoMA London at St John’s Waterloo on Saturday 30 November (rehearsals 22 and 29 October, 5 and 26 November and in the afternoon before the concert) and the third Festival of Contemporary Music for All festival in March 2020 where we will premiere new works being commissioned for a second published volume of works in 2020/2021.
Contact Janet Oates, Musical Director, at email@example.com if you are interested in joining.