CoMA Festival of Contemporary Music 2018 2nd – 4th March
CoMA Sussex and CoMA South ensembles converge at the University of Chichester for a weekend of riotous music-making in the company of the Riot Ensemble. The weekend is open to instrumentalists and singers of all ages and abilities as well as those who simply want to immerse themselves in an amazing musical experience. Alongside solo performances by percussionist Joby Burgess, as well as by the CoMA ensembles themselves, all participants will combine in a performance of Louis Andriessen’s ‘Workers Union’, the UK premiere of US composer Drew Baker’s ‘Nox’, which involves a chorus, and a new work by Nigel Osborne, specially commissioned for this festival.
We are looking forward to rehearsing with our new MD Steve Dummer this season. New members are always very welcome. We will be rehearsing on the following dates at Sussex Uni Recital Room at 2.30pm
- January 14th 2018
- February 11th 2018
- March 11th 2018
- April 8th 2018
- May 13th 2018
- June 10th 2018
- July 8th 2018
CoMA Sussex was established in 2005 and now has over 20 members. You can hear some of our recent performances at https://soundcloud.com/comasussex
We are an active member of the East Sussex Music Hub.
Our memorable moments!
- We have just performed in a pub for the first time – our Whiskies of Islay gig at The Brunswick in Hove in May 2017 was a triumph!
- In 2016 and 2017 we played at the East Sussex Music Centre
- In 2014, 2016 and 2017 we took part in the Adur Arts Live Festival in Shoreham by Sea.
- In April 2012 we took part in Gavin Bryars’ epic ‘The Sinking of the Titanic’ at Southampton Guildhall (a collaborative event with the Southampton Concert Orchestra).
- We’ve given concerts at Chichester University, in partnership with the lively student contemporary music group there.
- We’ve played at Lancing College.
- We’ve performed at Brighton Live (in Brighton’s Jubilee Library), Soundwaves Festival (twice), Arundel Town Festival (2009 and 2010), at Charleston Farmhouse and at Brighton’s Concorde 2 (where we played Louis Andriessen’s Workers’ Union).
- We’ve given two workshops in collaboration with Worthing’s Revolutionary Music Group.
- As well as CoMA commissions and Open Score pieces, we regularly perform music composed by our own members, and other new and experimental music.
CoMA Sussex meets once a month, except in August, on the second Sunday from 2.30pm to 5pm (NB please check 2017/2018 dates as some vary). We rehearse in the Recital Room at the University of Sussex.
For directions: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/aboutus/findus
New players – Your first rehearsal is free of charge. Members – The regional subscription is £60 per year (£6 per month by standing order) or £10 per rehearsal (£5 concessions). This in addition to your annual CoMA Friend subscription (£36 standard).
Chair: Paul Scruton
Regional Co-ordinator: Jenny Hasler
Music Director: Steve Dummer
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @CoMA_Sussex
Sorry, no events found.