Two concerts not to be missed this autumn!
CoMA 25th Anniversary Concert, London full details
Saturday 22nd September St John’s Smith Square
CoMA Sussex will be playing as part of the CoMA 25th anniversary celebrations which will be taking place throughout the weekend. We look forward to seeing you there!
Open… for now…
Saturday 17th November 15:00 Friends Meeting House, Brighton
A collaboration by CoMA Sussex and New Music Brighton
We will be playing works as follows:
Phil Baker – Veilings 1*
Ric Graebner – CoMA 128*
John Hawkins – Last Tango in Brighton*
Guy Richardson – Open*
Roger Harmar – Nailing Paintings Together
Patrick Harrex – Three Conjugations
Jonathan Harvey – Climbing Frame
Diego Monsalve – Pachamama (Mother Earth)
* 1st performance
We are looking forward to rehearsing with our new MD Steve Dummer this season. New members are always very welcome. We will be rehearsing on the following dates at Sussex Uni Recital Room at 2.30pm
- September 16th 2018
- October 21st 2018
- November 11th 2018
- December 9th 2018
2019 dates TBC
CoMA Sussex was established in 2005 and now has over 20 members. You can hear some of our recent performances at https://soundcloud.com/comasussex
We are an active member of the East Sussex Music Hub.
Our memorable moments!
- In March 2018 we performed at CoMA Fest – a festival of contemporary music at Chichester University which was a collaborative weekend event with professional ensemble – The Riot Ensemble
- In 2017 we performed in a pub for the first time – our Whiskies of Islay gig at The Brunswick in Hove in May 2017 was a triumph and we returned on April 19th 2018 for another performance!
- In 2016 and 2017 we played at the East Sussex Music Centre
- For the past 3 years we have taken part in the Adur Arts Live Festival in Shoreham by Sea.
- In April 2012 we took part in Gavin Bryars’ epic ‘The Sinking of the Titanic’ at Southampton Guildhall (a collaborative event with the Southampton Concert Orchestra).
- We’ve given concerts at Chichester University, in partnership with the lively student contemporary music group there.
- We’ve played at Lancing College.
- We’ve given two workshops in collaboration with Worthing’s Revolutionary Music Group.
- As well as CoMA commissions and Open Score pieces, we regularly perform music composed by our own members, and other new and experimental music.
CoMA Sussex meets once a month, except in August, on the second Sunday from 2.30pm to 5pm (NB please check 2017/2018 dates as some vary). We rehearse in the Recital Room at the University of Sussex.
For directions: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/aboutus/findus
New players – Your first rehearsal is free of charge. Members – The regional subscription is £60 per year (£6 per month by standing order) or £10 per rehearsal (£5 concessions). This in addition to your annual CoMA Friend subscription (£36 standard).
Chair: Paul Scruton
Regional Co-ordinator: Jenny Hasler
Music Director: Steve Dummer
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @CoMA_Sussex