Two unmissable concerts this autumn!
CoMA 25th Anniversary Concert, London full details
Saturday 22 September St John’s Smith Square
CoMA Sussex played as part of the CoMA 25th anniversary celebrations which took place throughout the weekend. As well as having our own spot we had great fun playing along with ensembles from Berlin, Maastricht and the UK.
Open… for now…
Saturday 17 November 15:00 Friends Meeting House, Brighton
A collaboration by CoMA Sussex and New Music Brighton
We will be playing these works:
Phil Baker – Veilings 1*
Ric Graebner – CoMA 128*
John Hawkins – Last Tango in Brighton*
Guy Richardson – Open*
Roger Harmar – Nailing Paintings Together
Patrick Harrex – Three Conjugations
Jonathan Harvey – Climbing Frame
Diego Monsalve – Pachamama (Mother Earth)
* 1st performance
2018–19 rehearsal dates
We’ll be rehearsing with our new MD Steve Dummer on the following Sundays at 2:30 p.m. in the Recital Room in Falmer House (near the Students’ Union Shop) at the University of Sussex.
For directions: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/aboutus/findus
- 21 October
- 11 November
- 9 December
- 20 January
- 24 February
- 24 March
- 14 April
- 12 May
- 16 June
- July date to be confirmed
New members are always very welcome. Your first rehearsal is free of charge.
CoMA Sussex was established in 2005 and now has over 20 members. You can hear some of our recent performances at https://soundcloud.com/comasussex
We are an active member of the East Sussex Music Hub.
Our memorable moments!
- In March 2018 we performed at Chichester University as part of CoMA’s Festival of Contemporary Music, collaborating with with professional group Riot Ensemble and many of the University’s music students.
- In May 2017 we performed in a pub for the first time – our Whiskies of Islay gig at The Brunswick in Hove. It was a triumph and we returned on April 19th 2018 for another performance!
- In 2016 and 2017 we played at the East Sussex Music Centre
- For several years we have taken part in the Adur Arts Live Festival in Shoreham by Sea.
- In April 2012 we took part in Gavin Bryars’ epic ‘The Sinking of the Titanic’ at Southampton Guildhall (a collaborative event with the Southampton Concert Orchestra).
- We’ve given concerts at Chichester University, in partnership with the lively student contemporary music group there.
- We’ve played at Lancing College.
- We’ve given two workshops in collaboration with Worthing’s Revolutionary Music Group.
- As well as CoMA commissions and Open Score pieces, we regularly perform music composed by our own members, and other new and experimental music.
The regional subscription is £60 per year (£6 per month by standing order) or £10 per rehearsal (£5 concessions). This in addition to your annual CoMA Friend subscription (£36 standard).
Chair: Paul Scruton
Regional Co-ordinator: Jenny Hasler
Music Director: Steve Dummer
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @CoMA_Sussex