MidWinter Composers Masterclasses
Friday 2nd to Tuesday 6th January 2015
St Hilda's College and Jacqueline du Pré Music Centre, Oxford
This supportive and friendly, yet intensive, five day composer's masterclass aims to develop skills in composition with a special focus in string writing. This year's course is tutored by Scottish composer Alasdair Nicolson who has been commissioned and performed leading ensembles throughout the world.
Fees range from £385 for a day visitor to £580 for full board in a single room with washbasin (£680 ensuite). There are a limited number of bursaries of £120 for full time students. Many colleges have funds to cover the balance.
Book before 31 October and get £100 discount.
Download a booking form for full details of the options.
Any Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Numbers are restricted to a maximum of 12 composers.
St Hilda's College
One of the more recently established colleges of Oxford University, this college is located on the banks of the River Cherwell, opposite the Botanic Gardens and the Magdalen Bridge. The Jacqueline du Pré Music Building, the first purpose built concert hall in Oxford since the time of Handel, is located within the college grounds accommodates the composers' masterclass and allcomers' orchestral and quintet sessions, chamber groups and evening concerts.
Past composition tutors have included Tansy Davies, Gerald Barry, Sally Beamish and Philip Cashian.
This winter's course offers
- Pre-course guidance on writing for mixed ability strings ensembles
- Group tuition classes and one-to-one composition tutorial with Alasdair Nicolson
- Attendance at workshop of a work submitted by each composer in advance of the course with a mixed ability string orchestra and a mixed ability string quintet
- Feedback on technical aspects of string writing by professional performers Darragh Morgan (violin), Megan Cassiday (viola) and Robin Michael (cello)
- Daily sessions working as a ‘composers ensemble' to create a work for performance at the end of the course
- Tickets for two concerts in the Jacqueline du Pré Music Building presented by string tutors and the Fidelio Trio
- A creative boost to kick off the New Year
Previous CoMA Masterclass participants have variously described the course as providing an ‘amazing time’, offering ‘great feedback’ and ‘unique opportunities for collaboration’, and as an ‘inspiring’ way to kick off the New Year.