CoMA Masterclass participants have variously described the course as providing an ‘amazing time', offering ‘great feedback' and ‘unique opportunities for collaboration', and as an ‘inspiring' way to kick off the New Year. Past composition tutors have included Tansy Davies, Gerald Barry, Sally Beamish, Philip Cashian and Alasdair Nicholson.
St Hilda's, one of the more recently established colleges of Oxford University, is located on the banks of the River Cherwell, opposite the Botanic Gardens and the Magdalen Bridge. The Jacqueline du Pré Music Building, the first purpose built concert hall in Oxford since the time of Handel, is located within the college grounds accommodates the composers' masterclass and allcomers' orchestral and quintet sessions, chamber groups and evening concerts.
Fees range from £395 for a day visitor to £645 for full board in a single occupancy room with washbasin (£740 in an ensuite room). There are a limited number of bursaries for full time students offering £145 off the full price. This means that students can attend for as little as £250. Many colleges have funds to cover course fees. Download full details of booking options and an application form.
Any questions? contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Treat yourself to a gigantic creative boost with this intensive five-day course with a track record for taking composers onto an entirely new level, giving them the technical capacity and confidence to realise more ambitious musical ideas and projects.
Composer Alasdair Nicolson offers a friendly and supportive approach that nevertheless is challenging and deeply instructive. With a focus on string writing, composers are required to write for amateur strings as well as a professional string trio comprising Max Baillie, Ruth Gibson and Robin Michael. One session each day is dedicated to writing as a composers' ensemble.
The course offers
• Pre-course guidance on writing for strings with option to write for amateur mixed ability string orchestra or chamber size string quintet
• Group tuition classes and one-to-one composition tutorials with Alasdair Nicolson
• Attendance at all workshops performing composers' submitted works with feedback by professional performers
• Sessions with a professional trio to inspire and develop new musical ideas
• Working as a ‘composers ensemble' to create a collective work for performance
• Right to record all composition sessions
• Concerts in the Jacqueline du Pré Music Building presented by string tutors
The course is restricted to a maximum of eight composers.