MidWinter Composers Masterclasses
with Phil Cashianin Janauary 2014
St Hilda's College
One of the more recently established colleges of Oxford University, this college is located on the banks of the River Cherwell, opposite the Botanic Gardens and the Magdalen Bridge. The Jacqueline du Pré Music Building, the first purpose built concert hall in Oxford since the time of Handel, is located within the college grounds accommodates the composers' masterclass and allcomers' orchestral and quintet sessions, chamber groups and evening concerts.
CoMA Composer Masterclasses have been variously described as ‘inspiring', ‘friendly and supportive' and ‘invaluable' offering ‘a simply amazing time' with ‘great feedback' and providing ‘unique opportunities for collaboration‘
These are intensive courses focussed on developing skills in string writing for mixed ability ensembles. Past tutors have included Tansy Davies, Gerald Barry and Sally Beamish.
Each course offers
- Pre-course guidance on writing for mixed ability strings ensembles
- Group tuition classes and one-to-one composition tutorial with Phil Cashian
- Attendance at workshop of a work submitted by each composer in advance of the course with an Allcomers string orchestra and an Allcomers string quintet.
- The opportunity to record these sessions
- Feedback on technical aspects of string writing by professional performers Darragh Morgan (violin), Max Baillie (viola) and Robin Michael (cello)
- Daily sessions working as a ‘composers ensemble' to create a work for performance at the end of the course
- Passes to a MASH festival concerts in the Jacqueline du Pré Music Building
- A creative boost to kick off the New Year
Numbers are restricted to a maximum of 12 composers.