Session 1 workshop
- 10am – 10.50am Instrumental (Hugh Brunt) All instruments are welcome to play this vividly contrasted suite of pieces by young British composer Naomi Pinnock, Four Humours, under the baton of one the UK’s most in-demand young conductors, Hugh Brunt.
- 10am – 11.50am Vocal (James MacMillan) Double length session – full details to be announced soon
- 10am – 10.50am Electronics (Mariam Rezaei) Mariam Rezaei will lead music workshops developing a live, improvised group composition to score silent short films using electronics. Suitable for beginners and experts.
Session 2 workshop
- 11am – 11.50am Instrumental (James Weeks) Discover the gentle, haunting voice of veteran English experimentalist Howard Skempton in this session with his work Sirens, open to all pitched instruments.
- 11am – 11.50 Electronic (Mariam Rezaei) See above
Please note if you choose the 10am Vocal workshop, you cannot attend an 11am workshop
Session 3 workshop
- 12.10pm – 1pm Rehearsal and performance of James Weeks’ new work (Vocal/Instrumental) Composer James Weeks has made a new piece especially for this weekend, suitable for all singers and instrumentalists of every sort and of every level, to be performed in the amazing space of the Sage Gateshead’s Concourse. As to what it will be – come and find out!
Session 4 workshop.
- 2pm – 2.50pm Any participants (Hugh Brunt) Pauline Oliveros was one of the profoundest musical minds of the late 20th century, whose music reconnects us with our bodies and with the sound of the world around us. No instruments needed here to play this iconic work, Rock Piece.
- 2pm – 2.50pm Vocal (James Weeks) Today marks the launch of an extraordinary collection of vocal pieces, the CoMA Partsong Project: be some of the very first people to sing some of the 12 brand-new choral works contained in this volume, led by the project’s Artistic Director, James Weeks. The 1400 and 1500 sessions will contain different repertoire.
- 2pm – 2.50pm Electronics (Mariam Rezaei) See above
Session 5 workshop.
- 3pm – 3.50pm Instrumental (Hugh Brunt) Two brilliant works to try out in this session – Phil Venables’ irrepressibly rhythmic Dutch Courage and Jonathan Harvey’s elegant and joyful Climbing Frame. Once again, all instruments welcome.
- 3pm – 3.50pm Vocal (James Weeks) See above
- 3pm – 3.50pm Electronics (Mariam Rezaei) See above
- 4pm – 4.30pm (All Participants) Participants will come together to share with each other what they have learned and discovered during the workshop day.
How to Book
£13.50 Standard, £3.00 Students/Unemployed.
Bookings can only be made online via Eventbrite. Click here to book.